Welcome to the UNMC Summer Undergraduate Research Program!
The University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC) is an academic health science center with a major focus on research. The UNMC Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP) is a collaboration between UNMC departments, institutes, colleges, student services, and graduate specialty areas to provide summer opportunities for undergraduate students to become members of research teams and discover first-hand the broad spectrum of research activities occurring at UNMC.
Each summer there are 80-100 positions available for talented undergraduate students mentored by awarded faculty. These full-time research positions are primarily in research laboratories where students work with team members on an ongoing research project. SURP students attend weekly seminars provided by UNMC researchers to enhance their knowledge about research careers and the variety of research at UNMC. The laboratory experiences obtained by SURP students enhance their competitiveness for later admission to graduate programs at UNMC.
Spend your summer in a state of the art research institution as a team member —using and expanding your scientific knowledge and skills, and learning more about health care and research options. Students will experience a 10-week full-time research placement, receive a stipend, attend enrichment seminars and participate in networking and social activities.
An applicant must be:
- U.S. Citizen or permanent resident
- Currently enrolled as a freshman, sophomore, junior, or a December graduate in college
- graduated seniors will not be given consideration
- U.S. citizen or hold a permanent resident visa
- Academically talented student interested in pursuing research
Other factors considered include:
- Cumulative GPA of 3.4 and above
- Completion of science courses beyond general biology or chemistry (e.g. organic chemistry, microbiology, genetics, biochemistry)
- Research Essay and strong letters of recommendation
Recruitment & Student Engagement
University of Nebraska Medical Center
984275 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-4275