MedStars is a summer residential experience at Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) designed to help high school students learn how more about health care careers.
- Interact with health care professionals and students from a variety of disciplines within the health care
- You will analyze and integrate interests, abilities, strengths, weaknesses and other attributes related to achieving personal, social, educational and career goals; as well as the world of work as specifically related to their career interests.
- Develop a two-year educational/career plan.
- Describe different health professional roles and articulate the value of those different roles.
- Understand how important teamwork is to patient care.
- Participate fully in a variety of engaging and fun learning activities.
- Meet other students from around Oregon with similar interests/ professional goals.
- Experience dorm life and spend time on a medical school campus.
To be eligible for the MedStar program you must be a high school students who have completed their junior or senior year of high school, or entering college freshmen are eligible. Students who have demonstrated their interest in a health career by participating in other health careers programs and students from rural and underserved minority communities will be accepted into the program, based on their letters of recommendation and application.
In the MedStars program you will participate with medical, nursing, dental and physician assistant students at OHSU to complete an independent study project and work with a team of fellow Med Stars students to prepare a presentation and poster about your project. There will be several hands-on activities in research laboratories, surgery, the dental school and opportunity to gain information about health career programs within Oregon.
Oregon AHEC Education Director
Shera Hunn Felde
, 64295 Schibel Rd
Bend, OR 97701
Phone: 503- 494-5867
Fax: 503 346-6856