The NMSU RISE (Research Initiative for Scientific Enhancement) to the Postdoctorate Program aspires to augment the interest, skills, and competitiveness of graduate students in pursuit of biomedical and biobehavioral research careers. Our RISE community is committed to scientific research that will increase human health and reduce illness and disabilities. The long term goal of our program is to increase the number of underrepresented students who achieve a doctoral (PhD) degree in a biomedical or biobehavioral discipline.
NMSU RISE Scholars are prepared for the next step of their career through:
- Mentored research experiences in four NMSU colleges
- Scientific workshops that develop cutting edge quantitative and technical skills
- Guided expansion of their professional network, career planning, and training for the professoriate
- Biomedical research seminars
- Formal courses
- Research internships at STARTUP partner institutions
- Health care
- Budget for research supplies and travel to present at scientific conferences
1. Be sincerely interested in a biomedical/biobehavioral career with relevance for human health and be willing to extend your education beyond a baccalaureate degree to achieve it.
2. Have a desire to get a head start toward a professional science career by participating in academic research sponsored by the RISE program.
3. Be a U.S. citizen, a non-citizen national, or a permanent resident. You must submit documents supporting your status prior to admittance to the program (e.g. passport, birth certificate, INS-551 form).
4. Be in good academic standing and have a cumulative minimum GPA of 2.75.
5. Must be enrolled full-time (12 credit hours) on main campus.
6. Must have completed two (2) lower-division science courses required by your major and/or by the university’s General Education program with at least a C in each.
7. Fulfill NMSU Student Employment Office Eligibility requirements.
8. May be asked to demonstrate financial need.
9. Student may be required to pass an NMSU background security check before position offer can be finalized.
Please contact the program administrator for more details on dates and deadlines.