The intent of the NIH/IMSD Scholars program is to provide five (5) years of funding, in-state and out-of-state tuition waivers and individual health insurance, as long as satisfactory progress is made toward the Ph.D. degree and the availability of funding. There is no IMSD application. Participating programs nominate students for this award.
Year One, NIH/IMSD Scholars will receive:
- Scholars receive $ 25,000 in funding
- In-state and out-of-state tuition waivers
- Health Insurance
- Experience 3-4 laboratory rotations prior to choosing a research mentor
- Participate in a colloquium course designed to teach graduate school survival skills
- Receive up to $1,500 in travel funds to attend a national scientific conference
The NIH/IMSD Scholars’ subsequent years will be funded by their department in the form of research and/or teaching assistantships or a training fellowship at comparable levels depending on the program.
Applicants must be:
- African American, American Indian, Alaska Native, Hispanic, Latino, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander
- U.S. citizens or permanent residents
- Accepted into one of the participating University of Arizona Ph.D. programs
NIH/IMSD Program Coordinator, Senior
Minority Health Disparities Summer Research Opportunity, Graduate College Diversity Program, 1031 N. Mountain Avenue
Tucson, AZ 85721-0102