Gain the competitive edge with S.E.P.! Held each summer on the UNC Chapel Hill campus, the S.E.P. Program is an eight-week, honors-level academic enrichment program that targets first-generation, underrepresented minority, rural, and/or socioeconomically disadvantaged undergraduate students (rising sophomores and juniors) who seek admission into graduate/health professional programs. Additionally, Scholars will receive educational supplies, lodging on the UNC Chapel Hill campus, limited travel expenses (contingent upon funding) and a competitive stipend. During the program, S.E.P. Scholars:
- Engage in more than 150 hours of classroom instruction in physics, organic chemistry, human physiology and quantitative skills/biostatistics.
- Attend classes and seminars in reading speed and comprehension, test-taking strategies, essay writing, and interview techniques.
- Visit local health facilities and network with health care professionals.
- Shadow a working professional in their health field of interest.
- Be enrolled in a College/University, Community College or Early College Program.
- Be classified as a rising sophomore or rising junior (current first-year or second-year) student at the time of application (or graduating senior in Early College).
- Identify as one or more of the following: first generation, financially disadvantaged, underrepresented minority, permanent resident in a rural county in NC.
- Have completed a minimum of three college-level credit hours each in math, biology and chemistry by Summer 2018.
- Hold a science/overall GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Be a US citizen or Permanent US Resident (North Carolina residents receive preference).
A completed S.E.P. application includes:
- Application including essays
- Two faculty appraisal forms completed by science faculty (professors, instructors, or TAs)
- One letter of recommendation from any who may attest to your character, commitment to becoming a health professional, and why you should be selected
- A recent photo
- Financial Information Verification (ie. FAFSA-Student Aid Report, Parent/Guardian 1040 Tax Forms)
- Official Transcript(s)
- Application fee by money order – $25.00