The Medical College of Georgia sponsors a summer academic enrichment program for outstanding high school students or college-bound high school graduates. The program is for students who are residents of Georgia, have finished either their junior or senior year in high school, and have demonstrated academic excellence. The program features college-level courses in biology, chemistry, mathematics, communication skills and critical thinking. Learning skills seminars, to include test taking strategies as well as orientation to a variety of health career options, are also provided to participants.
Pre-college students pursue coursework in the following areas:
- Biomedical Science Courses
- Principles of Biology
- Principles of Chemistry
- Advanced Problem Solving Mathematics
- Communication Skills I
- Pre-Professional Development Strategies
- Library Research Seminar
- Clinical Volunteer
Each student will receive a stipend of $1016 to cover living expenses and books. However, the final $200 stipend is contingent upon the student making at least a “B” in all program courses. On-campus housing and tuition will be paid by the Office of Educational Outreach and Partnerships.
Meals may be purchased on campus or at nearby restaurants.
Selection includes, but is not limited to, the following criteria:
General Criteria include:
- Students from groups underrepresented in the health professions
- Socially, educationally, or economically disadvantaged
- Permanent GA Resident
- U.S. citizenship or permanent resident status
- Demonstrated strong interest in the health professions
- Demonstrated competence in Science and Mathematics
- Two Recommendation Forms completed by Science and Math teachers
- Extracurricular activities demonstrating leadership activities
Specific Criteria include:
- Completion of junior or senior year in high school
- Completion of two years of mathematics and two years of laboratory science courses
- Minimum “B” average overall and in Science/Math
- Competitive SAT or ACT scores
Director, Educational Enrichment Programs
Linda S. James, M.S.
Office of Educational Outreach & Partnerships, Student Educational Enrichment Programs
Augusta, GA 30912-1900
Phone: (706) 721-2522
Fax: (706) 721-8203