The Summer Academic Enrichment Program is an intensive, six-week inter-professional academic enrichment program designed to enhance the academic preparation of junior and senior undergraduate students, and post-baccalaureate students, actively pursuing enrollment in a health professions school. The curriculum is designed around an inter-professional framework that provides:
- Three core courses
- Discipline specific instruction time (dentistry, medicine, pharmacy, physical therapy)
- Learning skills and test-taking workshops
- Seminars featuring topics on health disparities
- Group and individual counseling
- Social and networking events
Participants are provided housing and a stipend to cover program expenses.
Students will apply to one of four tracks — dentistry, medicine, pharmacy or physical therapy — that will determine their discipline-specific concentration if they are selected for the program. Upon completion of the program, participants will have the tools that will help them to assess their strengths and weaknesses in regards to successful application and matriculation into a health professions school.
Requirements for admission to the program include:
- Three complete years of college course work, including organic chemistry (Note: organic chemistry not required for physical therapy track)
- Cumulative GPA of 2.75
- Two letters of reference
- Personal statement
- Strong interest in attending health professions school at VCU
Preference is given to those of a disadvantaged (educational, social or economic) background.
Students must select one program track when completing the online application.
, 1000 East Marshall Street , Room 209
Richmond, VA 23298-0006
Phone: (804) 827-0982