The Manhattan-Staten Island Area Health Education Center (MSI AHEC) Summer Health Internship Program (SHIP) is an intensive, six-week opportunity for high school and college students. This program exposes students to a variety of careers in the health fields as well as to health issues affecting their communities. SHIP allows participants to interact regularly with health care professionals. Students who successfully complete the MSI AHEC SHIP will emerge with new connections, job readiness skills, and insight into the world of health care.
Each year a limited number of students are admitted into SHIP . The program will run from July 5th through August 11th. During this time participants will be expected to work at their designated sites for five hours each day. In addition, there will be mandatory didactic sessions every Thursday. These sessions will encompass a full day and will include lectures, field trips, and other health-related activities. On the final day of the program, all students will be required to attend and present their final projects.
10th and 11th grader high school students on-track for promotion in June
- 12th grade high school students in good standing who plan to attend college in the Fall
- College students in good standing that will be a Sophomore in the Fall
- Student must be between 16-22 years of age at start of program
- Student must attend school or live in Manhattan or Staten Island
- Student must be a United States Citizen or have Permanent Resident Status
- Student must be interested in a career in the health field