The University of Texas School of Dentistry and Medical School at Houston SMDEP seeks talented and motivated students from a variety of backgrounds, including those who are:
- underrepresented or underserved
- interested in pursuing a career in dentistry or medicine
- interested in serving the underserved
The mission of SMDEP is to assist students in enhancing their knowledge, skills, and attitudes to make them more competitive and to improve their chances of becoming successful applicants to a medical or dental school of their choice.
SMDEP serves to advance our institution’s core missions of providing the highest quality education, conducting the highest caliber of research in biomedical and health sciences, and providing exemplary clinical care in a diverse and culturally competent environment.
To be eligible for SMDEP, an applicant must:
- be currently enrolled as a freshman or sophomore in college;
- have a minimum overall GPA of 2.5;
- be a U.S. citizen or hold a permanent resident visa; and
- not have previously participated in SMDEP.
What other factors are considered in the admissions process?
- If you identify with a group that is racially/ethnically underrepresented in medicine and/or dentistry (as defined independently by each program site);
- If you come from an economically or educationally disadvantaged background;
- If you have demonstrated interest in issues affecting underserved populations; and
- If you submit a compelling personal statement and strong letters of recommendation.
, 6516 MD Anderson Blvd
Houston, TX 77030