Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation offers one of the most outstanding and unique internship opportunities available to undergraduate premed students and those studying in other health care disciplines. Working with a physician mentor and a research staff mentor, interns contribute to clinical research studies and publications that impact patient care. This past year, the work of former interns was a part of 10 presentations at national scientific meetings and 9 publications in peer-reviewed journals. During their 12 week internships, interns spend nearly 11 days on shadowing, observations and other field trips.
MHIF is seeking diverse pool of interns based on a combination of demonstrated academic performance, leadership and career aspirations in the field of cardiology and/or research. Internships are full-time, paid and last 11-12 weeks.
In order to be successful, we strongly recommend that applicants meet the following criteria:
- Enrolled in a U.S.-based accredited degree program in a health care or related discipline.
- Preference will be given to undergraduates who are rising juniors or seniors.
- Have a GPA of 3.50 or above, as verified by a transcript.
- Available to begin work on the first Monday in June.
- Available to work a minimum of 400 hours (up to 40 hours/week) from June to August.
In compliance with federal law, upon hire, interns will be required to produce original documents verifying their identity and authorization to work in the United States.
Upon acceptance of an internship offer, interns will be required to submit documentation to verify that they have met the immunization requirements established by Abbott Northwestern Hospital. Seasonal flu vaccination is mandatory unless medically contraindicated.