For the summer of 2011 The Harris Foundation (THF), in partnership with the ExxonMobil Foundation, will sponsor a total of 25 residential camps held during the months of June-August and provided free of charge to participants. Each camp will provide 48-54 promising middle school grade level students the opportunity to enhance their proficiency in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) education.
The core curriculum is integrated with field excursions and other educational experiences that enrich students’ understanding of the practical relationships between classroom work and the real world. Communication and teamwork are integral parts of the students’ educational experience. Evening counseling sessions provide opportunities for discussion of students’ academic, career and social issues. Students engage in an array of extracurricular activities during the non-class time.
- Members of a traditionally underserved and underrepresented population;
- Entering 6th, 7th or 8th grade in the fall of 2011;
- Have a GPA of at least “B” overall in mathematics and science;
- Score at the median to superior level in standardized mathematics and science tests;
- Write a 250-word essay;
- Interested in mathematics and science; and
- Be recommended by their current mathematics and science teachers
The camp takes place at college campuses around the country. Please contact for location's dates, recruitment area and application deadline. You can also access the admission application and the contact information for each site.
Please contact the program administrator for details on dates, eligibility and deadlines.
Program Director - Summer Science Camp
, The Harris Foundation
Houston, Texas 77056