During the summer months Maine Medical Center Research Institute provides undergraduates with an opportunity to receive an educational experience in biomedical science through the MMCRI Summer Student Research Program. MMCRI also reserves several spots in the program for MMC Tufts Maine Track students. Learn more about the medical student portion of the program.
Research at MMCRI covers a broad area in biomedical science including vascular biology, stem cell biology, developmental biology, neurobiology, hematology, nephrology, tumor biology, and molecular genetics as well as outcomes research, vector-borne diseases, and clinical research.
Summer Students become employees of Maine Medical Center and are paid at an hourly rate bi-weekly. The total amount generally works out to approximately $4,600 for the ten week program, working 40 hours per week. Students are responsible for their own transportation and housing.
Contact the Education Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
In order to be eligible for participation in the MMCRI Summer Student Research Program you must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Applicants must be 18 years old by June 4, 2019
- Applicants must have a 3.0 GPA or above
- Applicants must be enrolled as a full-time student in an undergraduate college program or community college program, or be a high school senior moving to a full-time undergraduate college program starting in the fall of 2018. College seniors who will have graduated by the time the Summer Student Research Program starts in June 2018 are not eligible for the program.
- All Summer Student Research Program participants become employees of Maine Medical Center, so you must be eligible to be employed in the US in order to participate in this program.
- You must also be available to come to MMC for required pre-employment health screening over the course of a 48 hour period prior to the start of the program.
Other factors to consider when applying for this program:
- MMCRI’s campus is located in Scarborough, Maine, 6 miles from the main MMC campus. Some summer student positions are located at our Scarborough campus, while others are ten-week on other MMC campuses. You must have some form of transportation in order to participate in this program.
- Housing is not included in the program, though some housing may be available for rent near the MMC Scarborough Campus.