The Undergraduate Summer Research Fellowship program funds 24 full-time undergraduate students with little or no laboratory research experience to work for 10 weeks during the summer in the laboratory of an established APS investigator. Each student has his/her own research question to work on during the summer. The intent of this program is to excite and encourage students to pursue a career as a basic research scientist.
In addition, Fellows receive a travel grant to allow them to attend and present their research data at the following year’s APS annual meeting (Experimental Biology), which is a broad-based scientific meeting of five to seven diverse biological scientific societies that are members of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB). There are many opportunities for the students to mingle with other undergraduate students, graduate students, and researchers at the meeting, in addition to all the scientific presentations and posters they can attend.
The Undergraduate Summer Research Fellowship program was established in 2000 as an initiative of the Career Opportunities in Physiology Committee and APS Council and is totally supported by the APS.
- Applicants must have an over-all GPA of >3.0 (0-4.0 scale).
- Applicants must be full-time undergraduate students with little or no laboratory research experience. Students should not have more than 9 calendar months of research experience in a physiology laboratory, no previous peer reviewed publications, and no previous abstracts submitted to national or international meetings.
- The laboratory host must be an APS member in good standing. Looking for an APS member research lab to work in? Click on “Selecting Your Research Host” under Resources to find a list of interested research hosts in various locations.
- Previous UGSRF awardees are encouraged to apply for the UGREF award as long as they meet the eligibility criteria. Students cannot apply for the UGREF award and the UGSRF award concurrently. Previous UGSRF awardees can only receive the UGSRF award once. Previous UGREF awardees are not eligible for additional years of funding.
- For additional information about eligibility and benefits, follow the “Summer Research Programs” link under Resources.