The VT-PREP is supported by the NIH through the National Institute of General Medical Sciences and the National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI).This program is a 12-month mentored research experiential work and educational program. 75% of each scholar's time will be in a mentored research program while the other 25% of the time will be in enrichment programs like VT undergraduate and/or graduate course work. We provide academic seminars off-site and technical workshops to gain additional laboratory skills, Graduate school preparation and survival as well as a GRE preparation program. Eighty percent of our PREP scholars go on to graduate school.
- B.A., or B.S. degree with a minimum GPA of 2.8 (of possible 4.0)
- U.S. citizenship or permanent residency
- Applicants must have graduated within the last three years
- Must be part of a group considered to be historically underrepresented by the federal government and/or demonstrated educational deficiencies due to economic deprivation or geographic disadvantages (e.g., inner city disadvantaged schools, disadvantaged schools in rural poverty areas.
- Applicants must be interested in pursuing a Ph.D. within two years of admission into PREP