The program provides educational loans sponsored by the State of Arizona, repaid in service in an eligible area in Arizona as a licensed physician. Minimum two-year service commitment.
Service will be full-time practice in any of the following locations, as defined in A.R.S. § 15-1721:
(1) A rural AND medically underserved area of Arizona.
(2) A medically underserved area of Arizona.
(3) A medically underserved population of Arizona.
(4) Any Indian Reservation that is located in Arizona
Loan funding for one or two years has a two-year service commitment. Above the two-year minimum, the commitment is one year of service for each year of funding received (e.g. if you receive funding for four years, you will have a four-year service commitment). There is a maximum of five years of funding granted.
Students at three colleges in Arizona currently qualify for consideration: students seeking a M.D. degree at The University of Arizona College of Medicine; students seeking a D.O. degree at Midwestern University's Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine (AZCOM) or D.O. candidates at A.T. Still University’s College of Osteopathic Medicine – Mesa (ATSU COM-Mesa). Students must be classified as Arizona residents under the state law classifying students for tuition purposes (A.R.S. 15-1802).
- Classified as an Arizona resident
- Admitted/attending The University of Arizona's College of Medicine, Midwestern University's Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine, or A.T. Still University’s College of Osteopathic Medicine-Mesa.
- Desire to be a physician in Arizona serving the medically underserved.
- Committed to family practice, obstetrics/gynecology, general internal medicine, general pediatrics, or combined medicine and pediatrics; any other specialty must be approved by the Board of Medical Student Loans in advance and must be of recognized need in the State of Arizona. As a physician during the service commitment, the recipient must practice in an eligible service area in Arizona approved by the Board of Medical Student Loans.
State of Arizona
Tucson, AZ 85724-5026