The Health Professions Education Program offers two types of awards: the Health Professions Education Scholarship and the Health Professions Education Loan Repayment. The purpose of these awards is to increase the number of health professionals practicing in the medically underserved areas of California.
Applications for the Health Professions Education Program are accepted annually in March. Any monies awarded under this program are intended to pay or repay tuition, required fees, books, supplies, and educational equipment costs related to the applicants health professional education. All awards are subject to the availability of funding.
Priority will be given to:
- Individuals whose community background and commitment indicates the likelihood of long-term employment in a medically underserved area even after the service obligation has ended.
- Scholarships are available to students who are enrolled or accepted in a Health
- Professions program. Awardees must sign a contract with the Offi ce of Statewide
- Health Planning and Development and agree to the following terms:
- Be enrolled or accepted
To one of the following health professional education programs:
- Dentistry • Nurse Practitioner
- Physician Assistant
- Dental Hygiene
- Certified Nurse Midwifery
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Permanent resident and a California resident
- Complete a 2-year service obligation to practice your profession in a medically underserved area of California providing direct patient care.
- Be a full-time or part-time student (no less than 6.0 units) in a California accredited school.
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 each year scholarship funds are sought.
Other RestrictionsPermanent Resident
This funding opportunity requires applicants to hold U.S. Citizenship.
Health Professions Education Foundation
818 K Street, Suite 210
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone: (800) 773-1669