Under the Colorado Health Service Corps*, which is modeled after the National Health
Service Corps and is primarily funded through philanthropic support, nontaxable awards
may be made up to $35,000 for dentists and up to $7,500 for dental hygienists for each year
of full-time service. All contracts are for three years.
Additionally, there is an Expanded Dental Loan Option of the Colorado Health Service
Corps which includes dentists and registered dental hygienists (RDH). This program,
formerly known as the State Dental Loan Repayment Program, was transferred to the
Colorado Primary Care Office in July of 2011 and has now been incorporated under the
Colorado Health Service Corp umbrella. The Expanded Dental Loan Option is authorized
under state statue, administered under Board of Health Rule and funded under a state
appropriation. This program is complimented by federal dollars through a HRSA Oral
Health Workforce Grant. Loan awards for the Expanded Dental Loan Option require a two-
year commitment and vary based on the provider type and service to the under/uninsured
(Medicaid, SCHIP and Uninsured/Pro-bono):
- Dentist Provider Level I = $25,000, 40 underserved/uninsured per month
- Dentist Provider Level II = $20,000, 25 underserved/uninsured per month
- Dentist Provider Level III = $10,000, 10 underserved/uninsured per month
- RDH Provider Level I = $6,000, 20 underserved/uninsured per month
- RDH Provider Level II = $3,000, 10 underserved/uninsured per month
- Contact Richard Marquez at (303) 691-4916 to learn more about Colorado’s Loan Repayment Programs.
*The Governor-appointed Advisory Council voted to cancel the March 2014 application
cycle for new applicants due to a lack of funding. In the event that the program secures
additional resources, the Advisory Council will first make awards to the existing pool of
eligible applicants that were deferred from the September 2013 round.
This funding opportunity requires applicants to hold U.S. Citizenship.
Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment
4300 Cherry Creek Drive South
Denver, CO 80246-1530