The Indian Health Service Loan Repayment Program (IHSLRP) offers health care professionals the opportunity to lighten qualified student loan debts and help IHS meet the staffing needs of Indian health programs. It is open to health professionals who will commit to working in health facilities serving American Indians and Alaska Natives for a minimum two-year service obligation.
Opportunities are based on staffing needs and availability of funds. IHS has created a ranking system to distribute LRP awards with the utmost fairness. The goal of the program is to fill staff vacancies in Indian health programs, so the ranking system gives highest consideration to program staffing needs and shortages in specific health profession disciplines. Once the need is assessed, each site is ranked according to the need.
Applicants must be health or allied health professionals who:
- Are US citizens.
- Agree to sign a contract to practice at an Indian health program priority site.
- Can begin service on or before September 30 for two continuous years of full-time clinical practice.
- Are able to begin service on or before September 30.
- Have a degree in a health profession.
- Have a valid state license.
Participants are Selected
IHS has created a ranking system to distribute LRP awards with the utmost fairness. As the goal of the program is to fill staff vacancies in Indian health programs, the ranking system gives highest consideration to program staffing needs and shortages of specific health profession disciplines. Once the need is assessed, each site is ranked accordingly. Consistent with this priority, considerations in ranking applicants include:
- American Indian/Alaska Native — IHS gives priority to applications made by American Indians and Alaska Natives and to individuals recruited through the efforts of Indian Tribes, Tribal or Indian organizations.
- Current Service — Current LRP recipients requesting contract extensions are given priority over new awards.
When all other factors are equal between applicants, additional equal-weight factors are applied. Applicants who meet more of the following factors than other applicants will be selected:
- Current employment in an IHS, Tribal or Urban program.
- Date of availability for service (first come, first served).
- Date the application was received by the LRP.
Indian Health Service
801 Thompson Ave, Suite 120
Rockville, MD 20852