Students are the future of the osteopathic profession. The AOF's McCaughan Heritage Scholarship honors and recognizes an osteopathic medical student who is committed to the science, art and philosophy of osteopathic medicine early in their career, emphasizing the integration of osteopathic principles, practice, and treatment in patient care.
- Demonstrated commitment to osteopathic medicine, osteopathic education, and the osteopathic profession
- Promotes osteopathic ideals and unity within the osteopathic community
- Participates in extracurricular activities that promote osteopathic medicine to the public
- Demonstrates, by word and deed, the desire to advance osteopathic medicine
- Presents a positive image and attitude about the osteopathic profession
- Exhibits a unique combination of character, moral, academic and ethical behavior
The recipient of this $5,000 scholarship will be an osteopathic medical student in their last-year of studies (OMS IV) during the fall of 2011, who is in good academic standing at an AOA accredited college of osteopathic medicine.This scholarship was established in April of 1956 by Russell C. McCaughan, DO, specifically to provide education scholarships to osteopathic medical students. Previous known as the Russell C. McCaughan, DO, Education Scholarship, the scholarship criteria and award amount was revised in 2010 and approved by the AOF Board of Directors in 2011.