The purpose of the New Mexico Health Professions Student Loan-for-Service Program is to increase the number of professionals in areas of the state that have experienced shortages by making educational loans to students seeking degrees in the health field.
As a condition of each loan, the student shall declare his/her intent to practice in a chosen health field in a designated shortage area in New Mexico.
For every year of service, a portion of the student’s loan will be forgiven. If the entire service agreement is fulfilled, 100% of the loan is eligible for forgiveness. Penalties may be assessed if the service agreement is not satisfied.
General Eligibility Requirements:
- New Mexico resident U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
- Enrolled at least half-time
- Enrolled at a public college or institution in New Mexico and accepted into a health profession program leading to a degree or certification
- Demonstrate financial need
- School certification
- Written essay
- Two letters of recommendation
- Applicant certification
- Letter of acceptance and/or official academic transcripts
Other RestrictionsA citizen of the US; resident of New Mexico; enrolled in an accredited school of medicine or physician assistant school; complete Financial Aid Form,
This funding opportunity requires applicants to hold U.S. Citizenship.
New Mexico Higher Education Department
1068 Cerillos Road
Santa Fe, NM 87505