Since its inception in 1969, the New Jersey Osteopathic Education Foundation Scholarship Program has awarded 169 scholarships totaling $693,000. NJOEF annually awards approximately five scholarships to deserving, first-year students accepted to the fall class of an approved college of osteopathic medicine.
Scholarship applicants must be established residents of New Jersey and must have completed four years of premedical education including a minimum of eight semester hours of biology, eight semester hours of inorganic chemistry, eight semester hours of physics and six semester hours of English.
To apply for a scholarship, qualified students must:
- Submit a completed NJOEF scholarship application
- Provide four named references, at least one of whom is an osteopathic physician
- Provide four completed reference evaluation forms
- Supply MCAT scores with confirmation code
- Supply premed college transcripts directly from the college
- Compose an essay sharing his or her desire to become an osteopathic physician (why osteopathic medicine?)
- Supply the prior year’s tax return or that of the parent/guardian if the student is claimed as a dependent
The NJOEF Scholarship Committee:
- Reviews all properly submitted applications
- Selects 10 semifinalists from the submitted applications
- Notifies all applicants of their status by the end of May
- Interviews all semifinalists on a predesignated day in mid-June to determine finalists
Semifinalists must be present at the mid-June interview to be considered for a scholarship.
Scholarship recipients are selected based on:
- Undergraduate academic achievement (i.e., minimum of 3.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale, within the top 25% of his or her class)
- Financial need
- Professional promise as an osteopathic physician
By accepting an NJOEF scholarship, recipients agree to:
- Become a member of the New Jersey Association of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons and the American Osteopathic Association.
- Complete their osteopathic medical education and attain the DO degree.
- Participate in AOA-approved internship and residency programs.
One Distribution Way, Suite 201
Monmouth Junction, NJ 08852