South Dakota statute provides for payment to qualifying physician assistants and nurse practitioners who complete three continuous years of practice in an eligible community as per a Midlevel Tuition Reimbursement Contract.
The amount reimbursable is equal to the average resident tuition at the University of South Dakota Physician Assistant Program and the South Dakota State University Nurse Practitioner Program during the time the PA or NP attended training. If the training was completed prior to 1994, an amount equal to the average tuition during the 1994-1995 school year will be used.
To be eligible a provider must:
- Be licensed in South Dakota as a physician assistant or nurse practitioner
- Agree to practice full-time for at least three consecutive years
- Not have previously received a midlevel scholarship through the Midlevel Scholarship Program
- Provide services to Medicaid, Medicare and State Children’s Health Insurance Program patients
To be eligible a community must:
- Have a population under 5,000
- Be assessed by the Department of Health and determined to both need and be able to sustain a midlevel provider
- Agree to pay 50% of the reimbursement cost
This funding opportunity requires applicants to hold U.S. Citizenship.
Office of Rural Health
600 E. Capitol
Pierre, SD 57501