The program intends to initiate careers in cardiovascular and stroke research while obtaining significant research results under the supervision of a sponsor or mentor, prior to embarking on a career in independent research. Research broadly related to cardiovascular function and disease, stroke or to related clinical, basic science, bioengineering or biotechnology, and public health problems. Proposals are encouraged from all basic, epidemiological and/or clinical disciplines that bear on cardiovascular and stroke problems.
Several Postdoctoral programs are available depending on region:
The Great Rivers Affiliate Postdoctral Fellowship Program
The Greater Southeast Affiliate Postdoctoral Fellowship Program
The Midwest Affiliate Postdoctoral Fellowship Program
The Pacific Mountain Affiliate Postdoctoral Fellowship Program
The Mid-Atlantic Affiliate Postdoctoral Fellowship Program
The South Central Postdoctoral Fellowship Program
The Western States Affiliate Postdoctoral Fellowship Program
- M.D., Ph.D., D.O., D.V.M. or equivalent degree at time of award activation.
- Individuals who seek additional training under the supervision of a sponsor or mentor prior to a career in independent research.
- At the time of award activation, the candidate cannot have more than six years (cumulative) of postgraduate research training and experience post terminal degree.
- Candidates may not hold a postdoctoral fellowship while enrolled in a graduate training program.
- This award is not intended for individuals with faculty/staff rank. Exception: M.D.s or M.D./Ph.D.s with clinical responsibilities who hold a title of instructor or similar due to their patient care responsibilities may be considered eligible if they devote at least 80 percent of their full-time effort to research training.
- Must devote at least 80 percent effort to research or activities directly related to development into independent researcher, as opposed to administrative, patient care, or teaching responsibilities.