Funded by a grant from Pfizer Inc, The CDC Experience: Applied Epidemiology Fellowship at CDC provides medical students with an applied hands-on training experience in epidemiology and public health. Eight competitively selected medical students from around the country who are completing their second or third year of medical school will spend up to one full year at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Atlanta, Georgia. While at CDC, with the guidance of experienced CDC epidemiologists, they carry out epidemiologic analyses in areas such as birth defects, injury, chronic disease, infectious disease, environmental health, reproductive health and minority health.
Training and work assignments provide opportunities to perform epidemiologic analyses and research, design public health interventions, assist in public health field experiences and report on findings through written and oral scientific presentations.
You are eligible to apply to The CDC Experience if you are:
- Currently enrolled in an allopathic or osteopathic school of medicine in the United States
- A medical student who has completed your second or third year of medical school and has some clinical/clerkship experience
- A United States citizen or permanent resident
- 10-12 month fellowship in applied epidemiology and public health for medical students completing their second or third year of medical school
- Classes begin in late summer
- Stipend provided for living expenses
- Orientation to CDC and didactic training
- Monthly seminars
- Monthly journal clubs
- Hands-on training and work experience at CDC
- Participation in field experiences
- Epidemic Intelligence Service (EIS) Annual Conference attendance
- Presentation of a culminating project
Other RestrictionsUsually application is due around the beginning of December. Check website for further details.
This funding opportunity requires applicants to hold U.S. Citizenship.
Virginia Watson, MS
Career Development Division, Office of Workforce and Career Development
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
1600 Clifton Rd, NE, Mailstop E-92
Atlanta, GA 30333